Tuesday 26 February 2008

Sydney

Another new continent for me. Australia is a place I hadn't ever imagined going to. From Canada, flights to Australia are probably the most expensive. But there I was. Sydney. It's hard to wrap my head around sometimes.

Sydney is a neon city. Not like Vegas or Tokyo. Almost every person under 30 that you pass on the street is wearing neon. And hot. Hot and neon.

One of the most original nights out went down at the Holy Rave. Kung and I ventured down to club 77 for the occasion. And what an occasion. There was a perpetual line up all night- add that to the loitering smokers and fresh air seekers and you've got quite a buzz going. The buzz continued as we headed down to the dark, low, hot and wet basement space.

The music was insane. Take any set of opposing adjectives you'd like: hard, soft, organic, mechanical, systematic, chaotic- that was the sound for the night. And people really threw themselves into it, completely letting go under a canopy of paper crosses.

Sydney was also the first time I got to see anyone from back home. A friend of mine who has family in Australia just happened to be there (well, Brisbane) so she flew to Sydney and we got to spend a few days together. Checking back in with my old life was nice. Some things have changed, most things haven't. She didn't think I've changed much, aside from being happier. That's a pretty big aside.

No comments:

 
The views expressed by The Smirnoff Ten reflect the individuals opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Smirnoff Co.