Tuesday 26 February 2008

Melbourne

Melbourne was one of the shortest stays we've had on this trip. It started off with a bang. Actually no, it started off with a nap. Once we got to our hotel we needed an hour to feel alive again.

Then it was off to the Summa Dayze festival. Wow. That was fun. Smirnoff had a private Area 21 igloo that protected us from the sun and was kept cooler. I met guys that were friendly, until they asked if I was gay. Then responses varied from politely walking away to being really horrible. And these were guys that were coming up to me- after the first time this happened I sure as hell wasn't going to approach anyone. That was the downside to the festival- Australia in general, actually. I haven't heard the word faggot that much since the 80's. Guess it's not just neon that's back. Maybe it never left...

Anyway, alienated or not, I was there to dance, do interviews, etc. And that's what I did. There were thousands of people, dozens of DJs, lots to do, see. And a great summer day (but New Years day, which was surreal)

Balancing drinks with water was important to avoid getting dehydrated. I always get headaches if I'm dehydrated, and this wasn't the day for that to happen. I was there for the long haul. Well, I left after six or seven hours. Too much of a good thing makes my heart burst.

I walked home. No address, no map, no concept of the city, but it felt like a great night for walking. It added an hour extra to the walk time, but it was a great way to see some of this city that would soon be a memory.

No comments:

 
The views expressed by The Smirnoff Ten reflect the individuals opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Smirnoff Co.