Friday 16 November 2007

LONDON #2

Back in London, I immediately felt that I wanted to get back on a plane and head somewhere exotic. London, as much as I’ve loved it and can see myself here, is comfortable and familiar compared to Moscow. Right now I’m craving chaos.

I’m writing this after sleeping soundly, for the first time on a plane. We’re headed for Buenos Aires- one of the highest on the list of places I’d like to see. In fact, before landing this experience (of Smirnoff proportions) I had researched teaching English as a second language in Buenos Aires (from hereon in called “BA”). The flight from London to Sao Paulo took 12 hours and I slept through most of it. Now I’m sitting on a much smaller plane, using tabloid magazines as a desk and waiting for this tin can to leave the ground. BA is only three hours away.

Airports - we’ll see a lot of airports. The amount of luggage everyone has brought (plus the equipment) is almost unmanageable. I got rid of an entire bag of stuff before leaving London and I know that along the way some more will have to go. It’s silly to be attached to clothing, I guess. I’d rather have that free and easy feeling while travelling (due to doing laundry a few hours before my flight I’m not wearing underwear right now, but that’s not what I mean)

I know we’re staying in a hostel when we arrive in BA. The Moscow Marriott Grande (fit for Kelis quality pop-stars) set the bar pretty high. But at the same time, even though I won’t be able to eat blue cheese and pineapples for breakfast everyday and I probably won’t run into famous people, the hostel will grant me a more authentic experience in an unsanitised neighbourhood. I know that this is a perfect breeding ground for original nightlife. That’s what we’re here to do folks. Let’s get dirty…

1 comment:

Keith G said...

John,

Sounds like your Smirnoff Journey is exciting, original and exhilarating!

I'll be reading your blogs with interest as you travel around the world with Smirnoff!!
Keith G - Canada

 
The views expressed by The Smirnoff Ten reflect the individuals opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Smirnoff Co.